We all know that area rugs can be a focal point of a room, they can define an area and they add warmth and comfort, but what is the best way to take care of your area rugs? Are there pads you should put underneath? Do they need to be cleaned by professionals? Welcome to area rugs 101.
Here is a quick list of how to keep your area rugs looking brand new:
- Vacuum regularly, but be careful not to fray the edges.
- Rotate your area rug 180 degrees every now and then – anything will help – use daylight savings time as a reminder, rotate them when you store your summer patio set or put away your Christmas decorations.
- Water spills should be wiped up immediately. Dry the rug on both sides with your hair dryer. For those of us who drink more wine than water, no judgment here, just sprinkle the stain with salt or baking soda and then vaccum it up. Use a clean white cloth to mop up the rest of the stain. Be sure to wipe in the direction of your area rug’s pile. Do not scrub.
- Every two years you should have your area rugs professionally cleaned. They have equipment to help clean and dry the rug better than you can do on your own.
- Consult with us about the proper padding to be placed under your rug. Padding is an important element and will both stabilize and protect your rug. Good padding also makes it safer to walk on your rug and will protect its value and appearance as well as your floors underneath your area rug.
- If the rug is to be stored for a long time, make sure it doesn’t have exposure to light or air and be sure to vacuum or broom it before it gets stored.
- What should you do if your rug gets damaged or frayed? Repairing a handmade rug, is very time consuming and labor intensive; as a result, repair can sometimes be costly. Therefore, when considering repairing a rug, factor in the cost of repair in comparison to the value of the rug.
This is just a quick list of tips to care for your area rugs and flooring. For more information or to browse our extensive collection of rugs please visit our website or one of our convenient locations!
Trackback from your site.