With advancements in technology, flooring manufacturers have made some recent breakthroughs and have introduced a new affordable option to flooring with the use of laminate floors. Laminate was first used as a material for counter tops but since they found it very affordable, durable and resistant to scratch and damage, many home owners now use laminate as the best alternative to real wood for their flooring.
So what is laminate flooring?
Laminate flooring is made from multi layered materials. The top layer is made from melamine resin and has undergone heat forming to make it durable which serves as the protection from scratching or scuffing.
The next layer is the print film which is the photograph of the wood that it is copying. It can be a photograph of an oak wood, pine, bamboo, mahogany and many others which are protected by the coating of the first layer. The technology for making laminate flooring is so advanced, that it is now difficult to distinguish a laminate floor from a real wood.
The next layer is the core and is composed of high density fibreboard to increase the strength and durability of the laminate floor. Sometimes, there is another layer of plastic added after the core to protect the core from moisture.
There are many different types of laminate floors available:
- Embossed. Embossed laminate floors have raised patterns that can be cut into square or rectangular strips.
- Smooth. Smooth laminate floors are one variety of laminate floors that closely resemble ceramic or marble floors.
- Wood Grain. Wood grain laminate floors are the type that closely resembles hardwood floors.
- Patina. Patina is a new type of laminate floor that is basically the same as the embossed type, but it has been painted for a more artistic look.
- Distressed. Distressed is another new type of laminate floor that has an old and worn out look to it.
Laminate floor tiles can either come as strips, planks or tiles which can be glued or snapped together for installation.
Definitely, laminate floors are the best alternative for homeowners who want to cut down their flooring costs while still having many styles and design choices to choose from. Stop by one of our convenient locations to pick out the perfect style of laminate for your home!
Trackback from your site.