If you long for a sense of warmth and peace you might want to consider turning one of the rooms in your house into a country library. This style is also known as primitive because it relies on simple, old fashioned furnishings inspired by the Americana aesthetic of yesteryear. You’ll frequently find rough textures, and saturated color that’s been artistically treated to look muted.
Items such as braided rugs and quilts will be casually lying around, and table-and-chair sets are usually sparse wood pieces geared more toward function than comfort. Practicality was a big influence on country style inspired by early folk art, so something such as a table would have been viewed as a surface for the handiwork that was a prevalent part of life.
Creative pragmatism makes for a room that is comforting because it is humble yet feels entirely stable and reliable. With all that said, let us not forget that country primitive style is also fabulous and pretty in its own way, and you could certainly glam it up a bit if you so desired!
For purposes of this post we’ll focus on using it to achieve a rustic library. To do so we are going to break the elements of the room down in sections because it’s often easier to understand them that way. If you happen to be a novice, this approach will make learning our design a breeze! Just read the bullet points for each aspect of the décor and extract what works best for your personal vision.
The color pallet: Muted Jade, Rose Brown, Chocolate Brown, Muted Pink Lemonade, Matte Black
What makes the room inviting?
- Shelves full of old books
- A fireplace that dominates the space
- The rocking chair
- Large area rug
What makes the colors work well together?
- They are all muted to the same level of saturation as the neutrals and natural materials in the room
- Red and green are complimentary, and pink and jade are derivatives of these colors
- Though readily apparent, the pink and jade play second fiddle to the neutral colors, and this is appropriate in primitive style home decor
What makes the design country/primitive?
- Rocking chair and spindle leg table
- Old fashioned books and pictures on the wall
- A hearth
- Abundant texture
Trackback from your site.