This game is time consuming to set up, but it is always a huge hit with the kids. It also keeps them busy for awhile, which is of course, a big hit with the parents. But don’t stray too far away while they’re having their fun. Watching this game go from serious to silly is super funny!
Spider Web Indoor Maze
- You are going to create an indoor spider web that fills an entire room. Decide which room you are going to use so that you can estimate how much yarn to buy. This will not be a perfect science.
- Purchase a package of yarn for each participant. Select a different color for each child and opt for colors appropriate to the holiday.
- Begin building the web at any random point in the room. You are going to create a pattern for each child by stringing one color of yarn back and forth across the room. Move up and down in a zigzag pattern around the room. At each touch point, lightly wrap the string to change direction.
- When all of the colors have been strung, you should now be seeing a massive spider web.
- Show each child the end of his or her part of the web. Instruct the child on how to find the other end of their yarn by navigating the entire web.
- Emphasize that they can’t just pull hard on the yarn or they’ll pull the whole web down. They have to go to each touch point and unwrap the string and then proceed.
- Whoever finds the end of their yarn first wins a prize. Or, you can have first, second and third place prizes if it’s a large group.
Enjoy watching the shenanigans unfold. Watching the children try to untangle the yarn while running into each other is priceless!